Dispute Resolution Policy
This policy governs complaints from students respecting Canadian Aviation College (CAC) and any aspect of its operations.
A student will not be subject to any form of retaliation as a result of filing a complaint.
1. All student complaints must be made in writing.
2. The student must provide the written complaint to the Office Administrator who will forward it to the Chief Flight Instructor (CFI). The CFI is responsible for making determinations in respect of complaints. If the CFI is absent or is named in a complaint, the student must provide the complaint to the President.
3. The process by which the student complaint will be handled is as follows:
i. Immediately after a complaint is received, the CFI or President convenes the Complaint Review Committee (CRC) to review the complaint within 7 business days. The committee shall consist of 3 individuals: The CFI or President, the manager of the department related to the complaint, and another department manager or staff.
ii. The CRC meeting must take place at Canadian Aviation College and minutes are to be documented in writing.
iii. The objectives of the meeting are as follows:
o Determine if the complaint is valid;
o Outline some probable causes;
o Determine a course of action;
o Document a final determination to be provided to the student.
iv. Written reasons for the determination shall be provided to the student within 45 days after the date on which the complaint was made.
4. The student making the complaint may be represented by an agent or a lawyer.
5. If the student who is or was enrolled in an approved program, is dissatisfied with the determination, and has been misled by the institution regarding any significant aspect of that program, he or she may file a complaint with the Private Training Institutions Branch (
6. CAC retains a record of all complaints made by students, all documents in relation to the complaint, the student's participation in the dispute resolution process, and all written reasons issued under the dispute resolution process for at least 5 years.