top of page

Foreign (ICAO) Pilot Licence Conversion Services

1. PPL Conversion

  • Obtaining a Canadian private pilot licence is simple if you already have an international aviation licence. You must pass a Canadian medical exam by a recognized Transport Canada aviation medical examiner.

  • You must then pass a written exam on Canadian air law (PSTAR exam), and a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Certificate exam. Canadian Aviation College gives all the necessary services and courses to help students successfully pass these exams.


Canadian private pilot licence can be obtained when you make the license request, and meet the following criteria:

  • A minimum of 45 hours of flight

  • 17 hours of dual flight and 12 hours of solo flight

  • 5 hours of instrument flight with a maximum of 3 hours on a flight training device (FTD)

  • A 150 nautical mile solo navigation, which includes 2 stops. 


2. CPL Conversion

To convert an international licence into a Canadian commercial licence, you must make a licence request, and meet the following criteria:

  • 200 flight hours total

  • 100 hours pilot in command (PIC)

  • 10 hours night flying, including 5 hours dual flight and 5 hours solo flight

  • 20 instrument flight hours, with a maximum of 10 hours in a flight training device (FTD)

  • 20 hours of navigation, including a 300 nautical mile navigation

  • Pass the CPL written exam

  • Pass the CPL flight test.


3. ATPL Conversion

To convert an international airline license into a Canadian airline license, you must complete a license request, obtain a class 1 medical from a Transport Canada aviation medical examiner and meet the following criteria:

  • 1500 hours total, including 250 hours pilot in command (co-pilot hours are recognized at 50%)

  • 100 hours night flying, including 25 hours of night navigation

  • 250 hours of navigation

  • 75 hours of instrument flying, including a maximum of 20 hours in a flight training device (FTD)

  • Pass the ATPL written exams (SARON/SAMRA) and the IFR written exam

  • Pass the IFR flight test on a multi-engine aircraft


4. Rating Conversions of an International Licence (night rating, instrument rating, multi-engine rating)

Canada recognizes the experienced gained abroad while still respecting the Canadian regulations with regard to minimum requirements:

  • Be a holder of a Canadian license

  • Obtain a Canadian medical

  • Pass the written exam (if required)

  • Pass the flight test

  • Complete the rating request form 

  • Pay the fees related to the request 

ICAO PPL and CPL Licence conversion procedures (FAA licence may differ): 

  1. Enroll in licence conversion and one of our training programs. 

  2. Provide a copy of your Pilot Training Record + Booklet/Licence on arrival.  

  3. Complete ground school (FAA Licence holder can be waived)  

  4. Check ride with our Chief Flight Instructor to determine skill level. Students will also need extra flights to become familiar with Canadian airspaces and airports. 

  5. Pass the Transport Canada Written Test, Flight Test, Language Test, PSTAR, Radio Test. (For FAA Licence holder only needs a written conversion test) 


For estimation only: Your Written Exam, Flight Test, Licence Fee, Language Proficiency, PSTAR, Radio Test are $1250 altogether, plus $2500 for the Conversion Service.


The hourly rate for extra flight training is set at $330/h for dual, $270/h for solo, $600/h for multi-engine, $200/h for FTD and $95/h for ground briefing. All flight hourly rates may be subject to a potential fuel surcharge. 


For all questions regarding licence conversion, please send email to, one of our experts will help you.

bottom of page